Rediscovering Eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
I am Yours
dailies
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
If I can cook, so can you! ~
-11:01 PM
Some of the food I cook, yes, I COOK since I came over to cold cold Beijing.Dont really like outside food after a while.The pictures are in some sort of chronological order.haha..the quality of food cooked improved as time went by..and I'm so very proud to say that no one exactly taught me. I experiment by myself in my kitchen! *Beams.

I named these the Amateur, cos these are either food I prepared during my first 2 weeks over in China when I still couldnt really cook or food cooked during exams when i have no time.

Left to Right (Top):White dumplings that are sweet; Red-bean Bread-it has crumbs of redbeans on the bread itself;PIZZA! This cost 85RMB and has potato wedges and garlic bread too!
Left to Right (Bottom):The noodles are 刀削面 while the rice dish is 宫保鸡丁盖饭. It was lunch at one of the back alleys near the hospital. This stall sells nice rice-based dishes;RitterSport Chocolate Large Version which you cant anywhere here-it was bought for me from Germany!and Hanuta;above the chocolates is a pastry from our sch canteen. The outer parts are made from yam and flour while the fillings are of veg. Not very nice. Too much yam and flour.;Green Bean Bread! Super duper nice. Its a fav amongst the classmates!

Steamboat with the family before Uncle and Auntie went back to Spore! Dage bought a spotlight just for bbqs and meals,can you believe it?!

Food that PJ cooked when I went over for dinner!
When the housemate's brother came over, he brought us and 2 other Singaporeans to this 胡同area for 北京烤鸭.

Blurred..that guy was one of the housemate's friend that thought I looked like a Singaporean with my crumpler bag while we were waiting for the housemate to arrive at the meeting point. I thought he looked Singaporean too though. Ha.

The area was 前门which is relatively more atas than my area.


From the exterior, the area looks like a village but when you turn a few turns and step into this 四合院, its like woa! Sooo many foreigners and you have to queue to get a seat. Yes, ppl go there dress posh and nice and stand to wait for diners to finish their meals. You have to do bookings if you wanna get a seat but when you reach there you still have to queue. And each table is given one and a half hour to eat but i dont think anyone really follows that. We saw the person roasting the duck and then slicing it.But couldnt get pics cos the ppl in the queue were blocking. Tried a bit of 清酒too and I think it taste better than ABC or Tiger which are bitter.
***
Back to home cooked food.haha
One fine day, I decided to try using the microwave to cook rice and it has suceeded before but that day, the microwave decided to disobey my orders and wouldnt cook even after 1 and a half hours (normally it takes half an hour on medium-high heat). So i got fed-up and put the half-cooked rice away. The next day I took it out and decided to do fried rice! So I put it back into the microwave to cook while I prepared the other stuff!So here goes:

Frying my marinated chicken breast-meat,mushrooms,小白菜and potatoes which are called 土豆 over here.

Added the rice and added other seasoning.

Fried 2 sunny-side up eggs.

The fried rice.

Fried rice and ABC soup.
Love the rice!
***

Lunch during when one of the weekends leading up to our exams:chop chop-dumplings and 小白菜. Tasted nice except the fillings of the dumplings came out..heez. But the dumplings was really wrapped too thinly.
***
Decided to cook porridge cos the weather is turning cold.

Preparing, cutting, marinating.

The end product. Smelt so good, like it was from Singapore. The porridge here are all sweet like a dessert-e.g. red-bean/green-bean porridge.
***
On a separate occasion, after the small ricecooker came, I decided to cook...drumrolls* CHICKEN RICE!(without Chicken stock).

Marinated the drumsticks overnight,putting the drumsticks into the rice in the rice cooker.

Tada**

Cabbage and potato soup to finish it off.
The chicken had flavour and the meat was tender! yay!
***

Decided to fry noodles. These are jap noodles cos they dont seem to sell normal yellow noodles here. Ppl here eat 担担面.

Long beans with potatos.
***

Chicken Macaroni-prepared the chicken soup first (w/o chicken stock, yes it can be done!) and added in the other stuff.
***
A new fast-food-like restaurant opened opp the hospital.

A lot of wonton for 8RMB only. 皮蛋艘肉云吞。Yummy!
***
Thank God for helping me figure out how everything fits together. Like finishing a puzzle. :)