Rediscovering Eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
I am Yours
dailies
Monday, August 31, 2009
End of my 6wks in Acupuncture.
-9:41 PM
Haven being blogging about my stint in the Acupuncture Dept but it has ended and I’m now in 风湿科. I really miss acupuncture..the teacher, the patients and all 9 of us students. We’ll always have outings on saturdays and food gatherings during lunch. Its something I really enjoyed about school since I started school in Autumn ‘08.
In acupuncture, we have to help the teacher put on the electric clip-ons, position the Infra-Red or a more penetrating lamp onto a spot on the patient so that the rays will penetrate the person’s skin. Once the patient’s 20 mins is up, we have to remove the needles and clip-ons. As interns, we have to ba guan or paste 耳穴 for the patients. We also put them on this machine which has the effects, but in my opinion is much better, of a massage chair. Its better because we have different options which will give different combinations of massage targeting the ailment of the patient. I had the opportunity to poke patients with needles and also to do 放血治疗(i.e. prick the person at a certain spot and squeeze the blood out).
Here are some pictures taken over the course of 6wks:

My clinic! My teacher is not a specialist but is a very good doctor, hence: we get A LOT of patients cos it isnt expensive and the patients like her. It is concluded that my clinic is the busiest of all even though the other 3 clinics are specialist clinics.

A picture of how the beds look like. The lamps there is the infra-red lamp. We change the beddings every week..chambermaids-in-the-making. The picture on the right is the stand where we put our bags everyday. Check out its legs. We had another duty: prevent the stand from dropping. It dropped several times and its not our fault:P it was weak before we came in..opps.
This is a picture of a ear with all the 耳穴. Different places on the ear correspond to different areas of the body. We normally paste a seed called 王不留行子on the spot which correspond to an area of the body which isn’t well. In the end, the ear is covered with many seeds. AND you’ve got to press really hard on the seed. If located correctly, the person will feel very painful at that part of the ear. It isn’t the normal pain one feels when your ear is pinch, its a different kind of pain that as a patient you’ll know that something is wrong with your body. ANyone wanna try?? It really works, I speak from experience.
Playing around with the acupuncture man. THe only man in our clinic apart from the patients.
From left to right: HT师姐,YC,My teacher,ME,A
Trying to mimic the poster behind..muahaha.
With the mask. Amc looks troubled with the guan next to her cos it was the start of internship and she had problems doing the ba guan. Shes really good at it now.

Left pic: From tallest to shortest.
Right pic: bu yao da wo..hahah
One of our patients who had 腱鞘炎(Aponeurositis).
One of my nicest granny patients who has difficulty walking because of pain in her knees and legs. She tells me if my ba guan-ing skills is up to standard or not. SHe gives honest opinions which i really appreciate and keeps asking for me to do it for her still.:)
***
Outing at 潮阳公园.
It was my first time in the park and I was thrilled to find out that its an amusement park! We didnt play any of the rides that day cos we went to have a picnic on a grassy field and played our own games. But still, haha, i wanna go back there! It reminds me of Genting seriously.
Check out those people flying kites!
Loves flowers. Hint.*:P/


Different modes of transport. I wanna drive one of them! and I love the duckie boats!!!hahaha..
Saw this scene:
Pretty gal with her lappie.
then…
haha~.
Happy to see such stores!

Colourful cube.
Yes they do pitch tents.
I was so so so amused with this…you noe what this is?
ta da..its the TOILET!
WJ bought a bottle of er..i dunno wat to call it…soap?? but ya, we were really like kids, getting super excited over being able to blow bubbles again!! Relieving our childhood days…in Beijing. I was the worse blower…couldnt get any bubbles consecutively…i’m officially 气虚。

Our picnic.:)
D was telling the Gospel using the colour format : Green, Black, Red, White, Gold. Then we proceeded on to get the PRCs to guess words to fill in the blanks for verses found in the Bible.
Looks familiar?haha. Well it started to rain and so we decided to change location to some sheltered place.
Forfeit. 把冷漠变成爱。a song i learned.
Gambling den. No ah,we were using the cards to play a game called 皇帝游戏-the one with the K is the king. The others are what their card says. The king will pick 2 cards and say what they have to do.
E.g. CG and WJ were picked to do a dance together.muhahaha.

I got picked 4 times: 1.do a catwalk, 2.act a scene with a guy where we have to run towards each other and give each other a hug –.- of course i made sure the gap between us could fit another human being&good thing is tt the other person is a classmate,3. shout out ‘i love chaoyang gong yuan’ and ‘i love______’,4. propose to a gal. Faints*.
***
Patients at Acupuncture:
1.A lot of nice grannies that are friendly.
2. 2patients that are Christians and recognised that I am one too by the cross pendant that hangs around my neck. It was really cool to have patients that are Christians, cos they tell you their conversion stories which are really different from what you get in Singapore. You really see God working even in communist-based China. They are the only Christians in their families and are really really fervent in their faith. Apparently most PRCs turn to Christ after they get some incurable or serious illness.
3. I had a charming handsome but UNCLE asking me out to go for karaok and dance sessions with him. He asked my other classmate in his ward(im in the clinic) as well as my pretty teacher. My classmate said OK while my teacher lied and said she stays far away. I was trying to run away from him but he’ll always ask for me in the acupuncture clinic so there was no way A or YC could help me. And when I said no I’m not going, he became quite pissed and said that I had said earlier I could go. Well, I didnt refuse earlier on cos I seriously didn’t know how to but no way man! Cos he looks quite..erm..ya. Moreover when I used the excuse that I don’t know how to dance, he said ‘nevermind, I’ll lead you’. Yucks, don’t want his hands anywhere near me. I thought of a new way to rebut though..I’ll ask him to bring his wife(if he has one) along. :P.
There was once I was doing treatment for him and he asked me where my ancestors are from and I said Fujian. He asked me about a particular minority culture in Fujian which I don’t know. Apparently in that culture, when girls become of age, they will go to a guy’s house every night. The pair will only marry when the girl becomes pregnant. If the girl cannot get pregnant, she will drown herself at the sea. I was quite indignant and asked what if its the guy’s problem and why couldn’t the girl just stay single her whole life? He just answered that thats their way of life. Girls stay at home everyday to wash and cook and will visit the guy’s house at night. GIrls are not educated. This group is dying out fast and this UNCLE was suprised that I didn’t know about it and started commenting that I didn’t know my homeland well enough. I was quite pissed cos no.1 its OUTSIDE my county which is quite big 2. I do know about it but just not the name of the group 3. He said that I should visit it someday and I said yes I’ll go with my family and he said that Im a huang2hua1gui1nv3 and I was rebutting him that going back to my hometown will only have its meaning if I have my family with me. He was shocked at my outburst but I was too angry to care. YC tried to mediate and say that we just have different viewpoints. I was glad to see him go that day.
Thank God the next few times when he came back, I was up in the acupuncture wards. According to my friend, he was disappointed when I wasn’t around and kept asking for me but honestly, argh. He is a handsome charming uncle who is wealthy and has status and position and excellent job in China (he said that he was asked to be a prof in Peking University but he turned that down for his current job as some financial controller or sth like that) but I caught him smoking(despite having diabetes!!!!) and I don’t like the way he speaks to me whether it be the yucky asking-me-out voice or in the why-you-must-stick-to-your-family tone.
Interesting experience though~.
***
Movie Screening at ZQ’s place.
I went for the Chinese wedding I mentioned in an earlier post in the morning, went home to cook for the potluck dinner and brought the food over to ZQ’s place. Good thing we live in the same estate.
We watched ‘Facing the Giants’ together with our PRC friends. Im pretty sure I’ve watched it before but I kind of forgotten what its about. I was pretty touched by some of the scenes. My sister has always been asking me to go watch it cos she says its good and as usual,I’ve been procrastinating. I was especially touched when the guy lead prayed and God opened doors for him with regards to him and his wife…made me wanna watch with someone,not that we are having problems, we are fine to get the record straight, but that I always like to see God’s hand moving in both of our lives individually and as a couple. As for the games, haha, although it ain’t the Olympics, we were cheering as if we were rooting for a real game and when they won, we cheered and clapped! A great show that I wanna watch again!
Oh oh, hahah and my friends said that I cook well! Beams*.
***
Last day at Acupuncture:
We prepared lunch for our teachers! Each of us went home to cook a dish and I did Green Curry.
We pushed the beds in the room where all the moxibustion was done and spread a clean cloth over the beds and ta da, our table!
Some of the dishes:
Potato Salad.
Claypot Rice.
Fried Vermicelli
Green Curry.
Korean Rice Cake.
Dessert.
We taught them Yum Seng and they were suprise we were so loud.
CG doing a dance cos he is from Yunnan and we decided that the people there can dance and he really can!
After his dance, he made a ‘speech’ to the head of dept which stunned us. It went something like ‘ To tell you honestly, I think most of us are afraid of you because you always look very stern. (all of us look at each other and stare and him cos yes we are terrified of the head)’. He quickly added ‘I’m very impressed with your skills and techniques and the way you treat patients.’ The head looked at us and didnt know what to say. –.-
D,CE and WH sing songs and playing the guitar. We even sang ‘Home’ in Chinese and English and other Mandarin pop.
We decided to make things more fun and get Zheng Laoshi to sing. He always forgets the lines and we had to fill them in for him..haha~.
My teacher had to sing a Guangxi song too~.
The three people with the highest authority in the room.
All of us!
And I decided that I should try out how ba guan feels like after doing it for 6wks on patients and I didn’t like what i saw:
Thats like only the upper part of my back! The redder the patches are, the more serious your ailment in that area!!! ARGh! I was quite traumatised cos its like my first time and my back was so bad! I didn’t bring my cardigan and had to go home like that. Good thing my teacher came and brought me home on her bike!
We gave our teacher a hand-made booklet that day.
We pasted photos and drew in the booklet and had one page each to write our feelings.
Here’s mine:
Yes, I have an affection for buttons actually. No one knows about my art and craft stash except the housemate,the boyfriend and my family. I’ve made a lot of stuff for him and my family.YC left me alone after I was stuck at the tailor shop for like ONE HOUR choosing buttons! But I like what I designed from scratch for the teacher actually~. Hee~.
The mess after rushing through the night to get it done. Thank God I brought my art and craft materials from Singapore, see, it came in handy! BJ doesn’t really have art and craft materials that I like.
YC fixing all the pages together! She actually cut the A4 file with the pink side thingy into half. Dunno how she did that but yea she did it! Shes our super duper repair woman,repaired the lamps, the electrical appliances, the computer, my watch and the file!
Our teacher reading it!
***
The Sunday before our next dept!
We treated our teacher to buffet at a Pizza Place.
I piled all the pizza and couldn’t finish it in the end. All of them had to help me.oops.
Our teacher gave us a prezzie:
It was raining and YC and laoshi both had bikes..so they had to get plastic bags to cover their heads…muahahah. So funny I had to take a pic:
I love acupuncture!