Rediscovering Eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
I am Yours
dailies
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Patients.
-7:43 PM
Today was the day where I had 2 very ngiao patients.
#1: It was her 2nd time at our clinic and she is an atas auntie I suppose. She has backache, scapulo-humeral periarthritis, neck pain, and stomachache. We have patients before her and are all attending to them. So she raises her voice and said “I’m here, where is the doctor, why is no one attending to me?” And so one of us students came out to explain that there is a queue and went back to attend to other patients. Not long after, she said “when’s my turn, when’s my turn?” She kept talking to other patients who were also waiting, exclaiming and complaining that she had waited very long.
Finally it was her turn and she was mumbling stuff under her breath. She was wearing a very heavy necklace despite the pain in the neck. Oh wells, what can we say? The doctor tried explaining that apart from acupuncture, she needed treatment from other departments too, like the Neuro-dept and she was giving all sorts of reasons as to why she doesn’t have to go, including saying that her CT taken ONE YEAR AGO showed that her brain is normal.
#2: This was the ultimately most irritating patient since my limited no. of days in Acupuncture. His first visit was yesterday and he was with a friend. He came in, told us that his shoulder was painful and he had problems moving his arm. We gave him a diagnosis and his next line was, ‘Doc, can I have a MC?’ My doctor was a bit suprised and told him that she can’t give him an MC that excuse him for a few days of work because its acupuncture, not something that makes one immobile. He became ngiao and kept insisting until my doc says she will only give an MC that excuses him for the time he takes to come to the clinic and so he gave in. My doc was busy and there were many patients and so she told him to wait and he kept insisting and wanted her to give an MC but she told him to wait cos it really wasn’t his turn. He hadn’t even pay for his visit ( In China, you pay before the doctor attends to you.).
He stuffed his medical book(a book that records the medical history of a person) in front of us before complaining why can’t we just give him MC and yada yada. We were glad to see him out of our clinic. It seriously looked as if he just wanted the MC.
In the afternoon, when his turn came, my doctor was still attending to another patient and I was sitting in her seat. He came and IMMEDIATELY asked me for the MC.-.-!!! I was like, wait, the doctor will give it to you, she will remember and he complained why wasn’t it done before he came. In my mind, I was like…hello, doctors no need to have lunch is it? Don’t have other patients is it??-.- Finally the doctor came, poke needles in him, put the electric clip ons, gave him his MC and send him away, not before we had an earful from him of course.
Today when he came, A and YC siam him like anything and asked me to attend to him. I didn’t want to but had no choice. So after the doctor poked the needles, I added on the electric clips and adjusted the strength and he kept complaining that it wasn’t strong enough and he wasn’t satisfied and that yesterday was better. I had already turned the strength to a very very high level and the needles and the area with needles were vibrating strongly but he still complained. He even wanted more electric clips, more than what the doctor had given and I said that the doctor said that this is enough and he said ‘no, listen to me, I want more!’ ARGH!
I called my doctor who explained to him but to no avail and so she just changed the location of the clips to a more sensitive area and he was pacified. But not for long! I shined the Infra-Red light onto this shoulder and he complained that it wasn’t hot enough, so I increased the intensity and brought it nearer. I was thinking in my head that ‘hope your skin becomes barbequed later’ cos there is a reason why we don’t put it too near nor on the intensity too high- The area will simply become unbearably burnt! But this time, don’t care. Even WJ 师兄came to help and I was a little indignant that this irritating patient become just a little more polite on hearing a guy’s voice!
He was pacified but not for long again. It was shortly after we had sat down when he called out and said he couldn’t feel the vibes. WJ 师兄went this time…and he went a few times cos the patient kept calling. When the 20 mins of treatment was up, we went to remove the needles and stuff but he insisted that because the intensity and vibes were not enough in the beginning, it is not counted and so we had to extend the time for him. There were not many patients by then and so my doctor just extended his time to shut his mouth. Seriously, for a man, ARGH! I pity anyone working under him. What an irritating person! I really wanted to increase the intensity to the max and maximise everything when he kept complaining non-stop in that highly irritating voice!
#3: This patient is the only one since I started to make me feel 心痛。A dad came in with his 2year and 7months boy and told my doc that his kid was referred over by the pediatrics dept to do acupuncture in addition to the normal medication because his left face is paralysed.
My doc and us included were shocked. The dad told us that his kid was under the air-con yest and in the night, they discovered the situation cos the kid’s mouth is pulled towards the right and his left eyelid can’t close completely when sleeping. At first I felt that the dad was a little fierce with his kid when he kept ordering the boy around but i heard something which changed my mind. I heard the dad mumbled ‘I rather I had the illness’ when other patients were talking about this case. I suddenly felt that the dad really loves the boy and when my doc told him that it would take at least one month for recovery and the boy had to come everyday for acupuncture, he thought about it, but still agreed.
The kid cried when he was placed on the bed and in the end the dad had to carry him and all of us were distracting the boy while my doctor quickly poked some points on his head. The boy could only see one needle-the one on his hand. One week later, the doctor would have to poke the points on his face as well. I wonder if he will really wail cos the boy is afraid of needles according to his dad.
As the boy fell asleep with the needles on his head and his dad holding him, I thought that the dad looked really sad as he wiped the tears of his child away. I sat in my teacher’s seat and felt really really sad, after all he is just 2and a half years old…